We are feeling so amazingly blessed to have our sweet little Felicity here with us! As I write this, she is now 2 months old, and growing WAY TOO FAST!! So, before I procrastinate it any longer….here is her birth story!
I feel the need to start with a little bit of background info. After years of losing babies combined with infertility, we found out we were expecting Felicity at the beginning of January, 2012. This pregnancy was a mixture of joy and fear. I was so overjoyed to be blessed with this sweet baby, and wanted to love her and be thankful for her life no matter how long the Lord gave her to us. And at the same time, I didn’t want to lose her before spending time with her here on earth as I had with Corbin and Noah.
I decided to go to my perinatologist for my complete ob care with Felicity. I knew he wouldn’t have the natural leaning I desire, but what I wanted more than “natural” was someone I knew would keep a close and careful eye on this baby. I needed this for my own peace of mind! I am so thankful for the care he gave me throughout my pregnancy. I had a sonogram at every visit. And during the scariest part of my pregnancy (16-20 weeks for me), he allowed me to come in as much as would ease my worries – at no charge to my insurance. This was so kind of him, and really did help me through the most difficult part of my pregnancy.
The Last Apointment
I went in on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 for my final ob appointment. When the doctor measured Felicity on the sonogram he became pretty worried. He estimated her at 10 lbs, 8oz – but said it could be off as much as 1.5 lbs either way. He was afraid she could be as big as 12 lbs. We tried to reason with him that our other kids were in the 8 & 9 pound range – plus she wasn’t even quite to 40 weeks yet. However, he was afraid she was bigger especially because of the extra fluid condition I had. SO, he began to make his case as to why we needed to just go ahead and have a c-section. He shared all sorts of terrible, scary, and even deadly, or life altering things that could happen to me or the baby if I did not just go with the c-section. It was scary for sure. He did a good job of making me feel a sick, uneasy feeling inside. But what was stronger than that sick and stunned feeling, was the feeling that I needed to at least TRY to have this baby naturally. I just absolutely could not see choosing a c-section because of all these “possible” horror stories. Those are possibilities with any pregnancy. I’ve delivered a 9lb 12oz baby before and had no problems what-so-ever with her delivery. My sister’s had two over 10lbs. I don’t see any reason why I would have any trouble delivering a 10+ lb baby – and I really just couldn’t imagine the baby being 11+ lbs! He was truly afraid to let me try to labor – and I was truly afraid not to! Since it was not medically necessary for me to have a c-section, he did allow me to make the decision about what I wanted to do. (There was just a LOT of pressure to go the way he wanted me to go). But I was just as determined to avoid that c-section! So I stood my ground…
I went in early Thursday morning (September 13, 2012) to begin my pitocin induced labor at 7am. However, the nurse had no orders for pitocin. I would have to wait on the doctor to come in and give the orders to the nurse. Little did I know, I’d be waiting a few hours, AND have to listen to another spiel from the doctor about why I needed to go ahead and have a c-section.
TO BE CONTINUED…..